Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 39 - Brecksville to Conneaut

Out of Dennis' house at 6:30. With 90+ miles ahead of me, and the first 35 or so amid the Cleveland work traffic, I wanted an early start. As it turns out, a good decision.

Out Hwy 82 and on to Hwy 91 with lots of traffic and quite a few stoplights. Hwy 91 has a little bit of everything - good and bad pavement; long flats and some steep hills; congested traffic and malls interspersed by quiet, up-scale neighborhoods. The kind of road where time flies by.

On to Route 20, and stop for breakfast at mile 55.

The waitress tells me she brought her plants in this morning because of the forecast for 50 MPH winds and severe thunderstorms.

No problem - probably come in late afternoon!!

I head down the road, and 15 miles out of Conneaut I observe very, very dark clouds over Lake Erie.

I really step on it, trying to beat the storm to Conneaut. Pull into a food mart to check map for motel location, and not 5 minutes after I'm off the bike the clouds open and some serious thunder and lightning arrive.

As I leave the store after the storm passes a woman yells to me that there is a tornado warning. I don't see any evidence of it, but later, at a pub, a guy sends me the pic below of the tornado that touched down 20 miles from here.

Except for the tornado pic, all others are from Conneaut. Finally, some wildlife down on the Lake Erie lakeshore.

No comments:

Post a Comment